First off, I want to thank everyone in the blog-o-sphere for all the traffic, support, and nice comments as of late. I am still sorting through all the “likes” in my inbox and checking out new blogs from people who have stopped by!
I have a lot of subjects that I want to write posts about as of late, but today’s post is just going to be kind of a random smattering of Five Favorite Things that I am loving as of late. Things that are small but enhance my life in some way. I intend on doing more installments of “Five Favorite Things” maybe every month.
In no particular order:
1. BAKING SODA. I just recently discovered the tip of adding baking soda to a bath to help stop the itching of eczema. I can’t believe I didn’t know about this before! I’m pleased to note that since the whole aloe-rash debacle, my face has stayed reasonably presentable with maybe just a few minor dry or red patches here and there sometimes. (I believe this is directly linked to what I eat, as I put the same products on my face every day and I don’t think it’s due to a topical contact dermatitis. For example, I flared up a tiny bit after eating four sour-cream-and-onion chips from a friend at work, too late realizing my apparent sensitivity to things in the onion and garlic and aloe family). However, my body, namely my legs and torso, has been very rashy and itchy. Protopic is slowly working which is good, though. And the Baking Soda has been excellent at helping me to not itch at bath-time! I just add about 2 tbsp or a small handful to running water (along with some finely ground oatmeal) and it is very helpful.
2. Cocoon Sweater from Target. I love these so much that I have one in three different colors – and I might even go get more. I am always looking for clothing that strikes the balance between being reasonably stylish yet comfy, and this fits the bill. They are VERY soft. They are incredibly versatile – right now I am wearing one at work over a plain brightly colored t-shirt and a multi-strand beaded necklace and I look and feel pulled-together. Yet, on the weekend, I can wear the same sweater over a graphic tee and with jeans and be more casual.
3. Blistex 5-Star Lip Protection. After finding that I was sensitive to aloe and beeswax, and having had a negative reaction with shea butter as well, it was pretty darn tough to try and find a lip balm with sunscreen that had none of these ingredients. Oh yeah, and I didn’t want anything that was flavored, either. AND I didn’t want to shell out a lot of money for a specialty lip balm online. Regular Chapstick does fit the bill, but it has only SPF 4. I like to exercise outside (running and biking) frequently so I like to use more SPF for those times. I was very pleased to find this product at my local drugstore. It has SPF 30 and just a very faint, pleasing flavor that’s kind of vanilla-y. It is long lasting and makes my lips feel protected in the cold!
4. In the same vein with another good product for lips – Victoria’s Secret Beauty Rush Lip Gloss. I went through and purged all old lip glosses from other brands, because most of them have beeswax or potentially irritating ingredients like peppermint or citrus-derived ingredients. This gloss has none of those, has a pretty mild flavor/smell, is very long lasting, and feels nice – not gloppy or sticky. I’ve worn it for three days straight so far with no issues of irritation!
5. Stash Tea! I like the ritual of drinking something warm, especially in the winter. Since I pretty much gave up coffee, I have developed a deep love and appreciation for tea. As I work at my desk right now, I have four different kinds to choose from! But I have to say that Stash Tea is my new favorite. I am currently enjoying trying the flavors in my Superfruits Sampler, and their Licorice Spice tea is also incredible.
What are some of your random little favorite things as of late that bring a bit of joy to your life? 🙂